NELP is looking for a dynamic, proactive Development Associate to join an organization highly regarded in philanthropic circles, one that has developed strong partnerships with leading national and local funders. ! result of NELP’s record of impact over more than 45 years is a strong base of institutional supporters and a solid financial position. Today NELP is looking to expand support among major and individual donors, and strengthen its development operations and systems to ensure short and long term success.
Who We Are
A national non-profit with offices in New York, Washington (DC), Seattle and Oakland, NELP promotes federal, state and local policies to create good jobs, strengthen workers’ upward mobility, enforce worker rights, and improve benefits and services for the unemployed. In collaboration with national and grassroots partners, NELP advances its work through research, advocacy, litigation support and technical assistance designed to raise wages, end wage theft and workplace violations, strengthen unemployment insurance, ensure employer accountability for workers in contract employment, encourage fair chance hiring practices, and promote a comprehensive policy framework to build a good jobs economy. For more information, see www.nelp.org.
What You Will Do
Reporting to the Director of Development and Strategic Resources, as Development Associate (DA) you will be a member of a small development team, allowing you to play an active role in all areas of development, including foundations, individuals, and events. You will both work independently in some instances and collaboratively in others to formulate and execute strategies to retain existing donors and attract new ones. You will work in a collegial and stimulating environment that values creativity, new thinking, and continuous improvement, and will work alongside others who share a passion for worker rights and are highly respected in their fields.
- Write grant proposals and reports
- Manage Salesforce database to support fundraising efforts, including tracking of donor information, and generating gift reports and mailing lists for appeals
- Help compile and organize information on NELP programs and issues to support fundraising and donor communications, all done in collaboration with program staff.
- Assist Director of Development in developing and implementing a comprehensive development plan for NELP, which includes strengthening existing fundraising procedures and operations, and developing new funding avenues and systems as needed
- Process donations and prepare acknowledgement letters and other correspondence
- Research potential individual, foundation, and corporate supporters
- Help plan and coordinate logistics for fundraising and donor cultivation events, including events in Washington, DC and elsewhere
- Collaborate with communications team to prepare appeals, annual report, and other donor communications
- Other tasks and responsibilities as needed
Who You Are
- You are a strong writer and editor. You have the ability to write about complex matters in a succinct and compelling manner.
- You are interested in building a career in development. You have 2-3 years of experience in development or marketing/communications.
- You are comfortable working with a broad range of technology tools. You have experience working with databases. You have an interest in learning how to use a powerful contact management system such as Salesforce to manage donor relationships.
- You enjoy working with others and being part of a team. You have the ability to maintain strong, productive relationships with NELP colleagues in New York and other offices around the country.
- You are intellectually curious. You have a commitment to social justice, and a strong interest in challenges faced by low wage workers.
- You are seeking a position where your responsibilities will grow as you gain additional experience.
- If you have experience with individual donors that is a plus but not required.
- A college degree preferred but not required.
Location of Position and Travel
NELP prefers to fill this position in its New York office but will consider placement in our Washington, DC, office. Occasional travel required.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary is competitive within the non-profit sector and commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package.
To apply: Send via email your cover letter, résumé, salary history or requirements, three 1 to 2 page writing samples and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org, noting “Development Associate—Application” in the subject line. Your cover letter should explain how the position and NELP are aligned with your professional goals and interests and what you can contribute to NELP’s fundraising efforts.
We will consider applications on a rolling basis. If you have questions regarding this announcement, please forward those to email@example.com, noting “Development Associate Search – Question” in the subject line. No phone calls or other e-mail inquiries please.
NELP is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and an equal opportunity employer. People of color, persons with disabilities, and members of the LGBT community are strongly encouraged to apply.