POSITION TITLE: Development Associate
REPORTS TO: Director of Development and Communications
WORKS WITH: Staff, volunteers, contractors, vendors, donors, media, general public
SUPERVISES: Volunteers, potentially an intern
HOURS: Part time, hourly, non- exempt status (30 hours per week)
The Development Associate supports the Director of Development & Communications (DDC) in managing all aspects of the fundraising program at Sunny Hills Services (SHS) including development planning, implementation of fundraising campaigns, gift tracking and acknowledgement, donor data analysis, donor and volunteer relations, marketing and communications and production of special events.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in preparation and oversight of the implementation of the annual fundraising strategy and plan that includes all SHS development activities including: individual and institutional giving through all channels including direct mail, online giving, special events, social media, major donor programs and planned giving. Assist in coordination of responsibilities among the development staff, the CEO, Board Development Committee and other staff and volunteers, as appropriate.
- Assist in coordination of the marketing and communications plan for all electronic and print communications. Assist the DDC and Communications Manager in producing content for all publications and ensuring on-time distribution to appropriate audiences. Publications currently include a print newsletter, annual report, donor and Board e-newsletters, and periodic electronic invitations and announcements. Assist with maintenance of the SHS websites, including developing and uploading content via the content management system and producing periodic analytic reports to monitor and track visits to the site(s).
- Assist with design and implementation of annual direct mail solicitations as well as conceptualization, writing and production of appeal letters. Assist with engaging and providing direction to vendors/contractors including graphic designers, printers and mail houses.
- Assisting the DDC ensuring the continuation of the institutional giving program by assisting with identification, research and qualifying prospective corporate and private foundation funders, and for the development and submission of letters of intent, full proposals, and grant reports. Assisting with management of external grant-writing contractors.
- Assist with oversight of the development and execution of a variety of special events, including fundraising and stewardship events. Serve as a liaison to the volunteer organizations supporting Sunny Hills Services, and provide support for volunteer-led fundraising events. Facilitate volunteer communications as necessary.
- Assist with maintenance of the SHS donor database including gift tracking, acknowledgment and analytic reporting.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and expectations required of the position.
Agency-Wide Core Competencies
- Ethical Conduct. Understands and adheres to the Agency’s Code of Conduct, demonstrates a high level of integrity in all internal and external activities and complies with the Employee Handbook and all other Agency policies, practices and procedures. Must maintain strict confidentiality related to client, staff and other Agency information.
- Communication. Strong professional writing, editing and oral communication skills
- Judgment. Use good judgment, and make decisions in a timely fashion that are sound, accurate and supported by the reasoning and inclusive of appropriate people. Able to recognize, address and propose solutions to problems that arise.
- Safety. The employee is safety conscious about the work environment and equipment. The work area is free of debris to prevent trip and slip hazards. All products and equipment are stored in its proper location. All safety guards and other safety devices are in its proper location, are functional, and utilized effectively on a consistent basis. Standard operating procedures, safety work rules and good general practices are followed on a daily basis.
Position Specific Competencies
- Desire to be an integral part of an organization that helps children and youth
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel; facility with technology
- Experience with donor database software (Raiser’s Edge or Exceed) and facility in data entry and management of relational databases
- Experience in grant seeking, reporting and administration
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- A flexible personal style that enables the candidate to interact amicably with people from a wide range of backgrounds
- Willingness and ease in soliciting funding from individuals, corporate sources and foundations
- Ability to work with donors, board members, staff, volunteers, vendors and contractors
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- A valid California driver's license, personal automobile for use on the job, insurable by SHS’ insurance policy based on DMV record and personal vehicle insurance.
- Non-profit experience, especially in development preferred
- BA degree or equivalent preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
� Sitting for extended periods of time.
� Walking, standing, twisting and bending
� Occasional reaching and/or grasping using hands and/or arms
� May be required to lift up to 40 pounds
� May be required to ascend/descend stairs
� Regular use of hands requiring dexterity in using the telephone, computer keyboard, mouse and calculator
� Visual ability to read documents and computer monitor
Sunny Hills Services is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, national origin, Vietnam era or other veteran status.