North Star Fund is a community foundation working to create a more just and equitable New York. By organizing donors to directly support social justice movements, raising funds for grassroots activism and providing grants to progressive, community-led organizing for racial and economic justice, North Star Fund resources and builds movements to achieve lasting social change.
North Star Fund seeks a Communications Director to lead the overall development of communications strategy and to coordinate communications across our development, grantmaking, movement support and donor organizing programs. The Communications Director will report to and work closely with the Executive Director to develop a robust, multi-channel communications program, including media relations, thought leadership, social media, email, video, and website.
The ideal candidate will be an excellent writer for multiple audiences, including donors, funders, the diverse communities in which we work and the popular media. The candidate will be a creative strategist with a proven track record of raising awareness of grassroots-led social change work. They will be an active, engaging ambassador for the entire organization and will lead the development and implementation of a creative communications strategy to be integrated across the entire North Star Fund team.
● Lead North Star Fund’s strategic communications vision, positioning and framing;
● Develop and design both internal and external communications strategies that support
North Star Fund’s multiple programs, including development/fundraising, donor
organizing, movement leadership support and grantmaking;
● Develop and deliver timely and strategic communications to build North Star Fund’s visibility through print, social media, online and multimedia platforms;
● Supervise communications coordinator and work closely with leadership, staff and Board on developing effective messaging for our work;
- Manage a dynamic website and related content;
● Deep knowledge and analysis of social justice issues and community organizing;
● Experience managing staff/experience managing teams/managing up;
● Experience leading trainings/teaching others communications strategy and skills;
● Strong leadership, creativity, and vision for a compelling communications strategy;
● Outstanding writing, editing and storytelling skills;
● Strong design sense, experience working with designers, and ability to maintain brand;
● Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite/Cloud, email marketing systems, and website
The salary range is $65,000-$90,000, based on experience, with an excellent fringe benefits package.
To apply:Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com North Star Fund, 520 8th Ave. Suite 1800, NY, NY 10018-6656. No calls please.
Application close date:Rolling with expectation to fill the position in July 2017.
North Star Fund is firmly committed to affirmative action and strongly encourages people of color, women, LGBTQ, elderly, and disabled candidates to apply. We appreciate all applicants, but please be advised that our capacity allows us to only respond to those best qualified for the position.