Reports to Senior Program Officer, Special Projects
Status Full Time
FLSA Status (OT eligibility) Exempt
Wellspring Philanthropic Fund seeks a Communications Associate who will provide critical support for the President, Vice President, and other members of Wellspring Philanthropic Fund (WPF) in the areas of communications and external affairs. While WPF prefers to keep a low profile, there is a need for someone to manage our internal communications, reports to our donors on our work, and the occasional outside communications related to public relations.
The ideal candidate will be well‐organized while also being a creative thinker an ability to shift priorities quickly as needed, and able to lead work independently.
Key responsibilities for the Associate include:
- As needed in collaboration with an outside public relations firm, draft press materials, and serve as on‐the‐record
- Plan and prepare talking points and presentation materials as needed for the President and other senior leaders’ as part of their participation at important
- Support event logistics and planning around donor
- Serve as a resource for programs in thinking about strategic
- Monitor the internet and social media channels for positive and negative stories about
- Ensure quality of content in print and on web by copyediting, proofreading, and ensuring consistent style and brand
- In collaboration with other departments (namely Programs staff, and Learning and Evaluation), gather information and produce communications‐related projects such as the web‐site, reports to donors, and internal
Knowledge and Skill Requirements/Qualifications
The successful candidate will have the following:
- BS or BA in Communications, Journalism, or Public Relations – or equivalent
- 3‐5 years of experience working in a communications and/or external affairs
- A demonstrated interest in human rights/social
- Superior written and oral communication skills; ability to produce original, clear, concise content within tight deadlines; meticulous proofreader and
- Self‐motivation, with an ability to work proactively, independently, and with a strong sense of
- Experience interacting and communicating effectively with members of a complex organization at multiple
- Ability to shift gears comfortably, flex skills, and multi‐task
- Strong interpersonal and communication
- Strong project management skills, deadline management, sense of responsibility and accountability and the ability to effectively multi‐task
- Strong moral compass; personal ethics and integrity must be
- Collaborative focus, recognizing the value in fostering an environment which promotes shared communications, efforts and
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint); Mailchimp and InDesign skills a plus.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary range: $65,000‐70,000 based on experience. Wellspring offers a very generous benefits package including payment of 100% of the health insurance premiums for employees (and 80% of the premiums for spouses, domestic partners and qualified family members).
Wellspring also offers other benefits including life insurance, long‐term disability protection, a group 401(k) retirement plan (with an employer match), support for continuing education, and is committed to providing transgender‐inclusive healthcare.
ABOUT WELLSPRING PHILANTHROPIC FUND
Wellspring Philanthropic Fund is a private grantmaking foundation dedicated to advancing the realization of human rights and social and economic justice for all people. Wellspring has offices in New York, NY, and Washington, DC.
Wellspring’s work is rooted in respect for the dignity and worth of every human being and is informed by the following beliefs:
- Social institutions and structures should promote the full realization of human rights and human potential, and should be accountable to these
- The rights of all people are advanced when the rights of the most marginalized and vulnerable peoples are
- Social justice movements should employ means that are consistent with their ideals, and should give agency to the people whose interests they seek to
- As responsible stewards, we must strive to maximize the impact of our charitable investments.
As a private foundation, Wellspring’s key functions are to conduct research and education tailored to our mission; manage a grantmaking portfolio of various programs, administer grants and monitoring grantee performance; and work to promote the effectiveness of programs that receive donor funding.
Wellspring Philanthropic Fund hires, promotes and retains employees based on their professional qualifications, demonstrated abilities and work performance, as well as on the degree to which these qualities are required in the employment positions made available by the Foundation’s needs and requirements. Wellspring welcomes candidates with diverse experience and backgrounds, and strongly encourages people of color and people with disabilities to apply. Qualified candidates for employment having records of arrest or criminal conviction will be considered.
All personnel decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, assignment, training, promotion, discipline and discharge, are made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital or familial status, domestic partner status, veteran or military status, sex, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law (each a “protected characteristic”). This policy also bans discriminatory harassment.
HOW TO APPLY:
For employment consideration, please submit application to email@example.com, with the subject line “[Your name] – Communications Associate”. All applications must include:
- a resumé (PDF);
- a thoughtful cover letter, including how you became aware of this opportunity and salary requirements (must specify actual amount and range) (PDF); and
- one writing sample (no less than 3 and no more than 5 pages, attached in PDF format). No phone calls