Title: Assistant Director of Recruitment
Reports to: Director of Programs
Position Type: Full-time, Exempt
The mission of Read Alliance is to improve the educational trajectory of at-risk early elementary students through one-to-one tutoring in foundational reading skills. Established in 2000 in the Bronx, Read Alliance is a not-for-profit corporation that improves the chances for academic success of the educationally and economically disadvantaged children we serve by ensuring they possess the reading skills necessary to read grade-appropriate text and catch up to their classmates. Since its inception, Read Alliance has spread to more than 40 schools in all five boroughs of NYC and beyond.
Over the past 15 years, Read Alliance’s intervention program has proved to make a significant difference in the academic success of the students it has served. More than 12,000 early elementary have received reading intervention through Read Alliance’s one-to-one model delivered by over 9,000 trained teen-aged tutors. Read Alliance pre- and post-assessment data has consistently shown that after just one program cycle, students who receive Read Alliance intervention average more than a full year’s growth in foundational reading skills as outlined in the Common Core Learning Standards.
The Assistant Director of Recruitment (ADR) will report to Read Alliance’s Director of Programs. This position will focus on the organization, management and retention of teen recruits. The successful candidate will be highly committed to READ’s mission, have strong relationship and organizational skills, experience in recruitment and supervision. The ADR will anticipate challenges and/or questions and will proactively execute solutions.
Assistant Director of Recruitment Responsibilities
- Support Director of Programs (DoP)
- Work successfully with Assistant Director of Programs to coordinate site tutor requirements
- Supervise READ Recruitment Associate
- Recruit and place enough teens to support 100% of site requirements
- Schedule and facilitate teen enrollment sessions
- Regularly report on status of tutor recruitment, quality and development efforts
- Collect and review data reports to identify, address and problem-solve any tutor issues
- Formulate and implement an outreach plan to expand sources of teen tutors (e.g. high school partners, teen organizations)
- Work successfully with teen source representative (e.g. guidance counselors) to maximize teen participation and maintain tutor source continuity
- Establish and implement effective procedures to select teen applicants with greatest potential for service
- Support program development initiatives for teens (e.g. professional skills workshops, mentoring programs, alumni collaborative program)
- Visit sites for tutor quality control and support DoP in developing tools to ensure the efficacy of program
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with fellow staff members
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Fluent in a second language is a plus (Spanish preferred)
- Experience with use of a database system a plus
- Experience with elementary-aged children and/or teens, literacy, and the NYC Department of Education a plus
Physical Demands/Work Environment
Normal office environment. Significant travel is required to program sites within New York City.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line: Assistant Director of Recruitment. Only candidates who submit all required materials will be considered. No phone calls please.