- About EPIP
- Contact EPIP
2012 National Conference
The 2012 EPIP National Conference is now over. Please watch this page for a summary of this year’s activities.
The conference took place Thursday, April 26 – Saturday, April 28.
EPIP envisions a day when all generations come together to build a better world. Toward that end, the EPIP 2012 National Conference will address the critical issue of talent — in grantee organizations, foundations, and the social sector as a whole — and offer practical examples of ways in which funders can address the effectiveness, impact and capacity of grantees and foundations through the lens of talent.
Three trends have converged to create a significant talent challenge in the field:
- Perennial Under-Investment in Human Capital: Poor systems for the preparation, recruitment, retention, retirement and re-engagement of diverse nonprofit and foundation leaders;
- Overlap of Generations in Nonprofits and Foundations: As people live and work longer, a historic convergence brings together four cohorts with very different ways of working in the same workplaces and board rooms; and
- Inter-Generational Transfer of Wealth: A massive movement of money has potential to be transformative, and brings urgency to the need for a well-supported multi-generational workforce in foundations and nonprofits.
Because funders play a leadership role in establishing the agendas and trends of the nonprofit sector, they can can play a key role in helping their grantees to address these talent challenges. This conference will enable funders to share exciting and actionable ideas and practices from their own work to address these issues!
Similarly do Foundation leaders need professional development and career support to be effective stewards of philanthropic resources. But what training and learning do emerging foundation professionals need to increase their own productivity and the effectiveness of their institutions? EPIP will explore these questions and provide tangible take-away tools in workshops and through one-on-one career coaching sessions for the field’s emerging leaders.
Thursday, April 26
|10am||-||11:00am||Welcome session: Why Invest in Nonprofit and Philanthropic Talent?|
|1:30pm||-||3pm||Plenary session: Nonprofit Talent Development: A Wake Up Call for Funders|
|6pm||-||8pm||Evening reception (poolside at the Renaissance Hollywood)|
Friday, April 27
|9am||-||11:00am||Plenary session: Emerging as an Executive Director|
|1pm||-||3:00pm||Plenary session: Meal Meet-Up|
|5:30pm||-||7:30pm||Evening reception (Rolling Stone L.A.) Hosted and sponsored by Southern California Grantmakers, Northern California Grantmakers, San Diego Grantmakers and the EPIP LA, Bay Area, and San Diego Chapters|
Saturday, April 28
|9am||-||12pm||Plenary session: Signature Emerging Leader Salons|
|12:30pm||-||2:30pm||Plenary session: Giving Famous: A Conversation on Celebrity Philanthropy|
EPIP provides critical orientation and education for new grantmakers through its National Conference — the most diverse, cutting-edge, and high-energy gathering in philanthropy. Click here to download a “Value Toolkit.”
- The energy at the Conference is palpable! A sense of shared-mission and movement building is pervasive.
- EPIP puts the “fun” back in the funder community: our parties are truly legendary.
- EPIP maintains a culture that encourages grantmakers to take philanthropy and their responsibilities seriously, but not to take themselves too seriously.
- The Conference offers a warm, welcoming environment and excellent networking opportunities.
- More than 50% of conference participants every year are people of color.
- EPIP draws registrants working in every funding area, every type of philanthropic organization, many different roles and levels of experience.
- Conference participants hail from all across the United States, with large delegations from EPIPís eleven chapter communities.
- The Conference helps grantmakers address important topics that are often taboo in other foundation meetings, such as how navigating power dynamics is essential to effectiveness and social impact.
- The EPIP Generating Change Initiative and EPIP Philanthropologyô curriculum anchor the Conference.
- EPIP carefully curates the Conference, offering a mix of content commissioned by EPIP; designed by emerging leaders in our membership; and created by our premiere partner organizations.
- Plenaries and workshops are designed using principles of adult education, ensuring that sessions engage participants in peer-learning and utilize a variety of learning styles.
- EPIP uses social media to maximize participation amongst on-site registrants and members who are unable to attend. In 2010, 7,000+ unique viewers tuned into the Conference and in 2011, 6,300+ hours of content was consumed by virtual attendees streaming from all around the world!
Online registration for the EPIP Conference is now closed. If you would still like to attend you can register on-site at the Renaissance Hollywood Hotel starting Thursday, April 26 at 8:30am
Conference registration rates are shown below.
|Member of Southern California Grantmakers
[and not an EPIP member]
One-Day Registration Rates
Note: Individuals may only register for 1 day of the Conference
at the one-day rate, otherwise they must register to attend the full event
|Member of Southern California Grantmakers
[and not an EPIP member]
Descriptions of registrant types:
Individual Member - An individual whose membership is current according to EPIP National payment records. [Individual Memberships are just $150/year and can be purchased in conjunction with Conference registration]
Institutional Member - An individual who works at or is on the Board of an EPIP member institution with current payment records. If you are unsure if your place of employment is a current institutional member, please contact EPIP.
Student Member - A student studying philanthropy whose membership is current according to EPIP National payment records. [Student Memberships are just $85/year and can be purchased in conjunction with Conference registration]
Member of Southern California Grantmakers - An individual who is not currently an EPIP member but is a member of Southern California Grantmakers. EPIP will confirm all SCG memberships with SCG staff.
Note: If you would like to become a member or renew your membership and register for the National Conference at the same time, you can do so through our conference registration system.
Questions about Membership?Contact EPIP with any questions.
Questions about Registration? Contact The Balcom Group, the official management company of the 2012 EPIP National Conference.
Travel and accommodations
The 2012 Conference will begin on Thursday, April 26 at 10 AM and will conclude at 2:30 PM on Saturday, April 28. EPIP suggests that you arrive in Los Angeles the evening of Wednesday, April 25 and will conclude early enough on Saturday April 28 to fly home that evening.
Note: Please do your best not to schedule a fly home before 6:00 PM P.T. on Saturday, April 28 so you can attend the entire Conference program on the closing day and avoid Conference disruption.
Hotel reservations (updated 4.10.12)
The 2012 EPIP National Conference will take place at the Renaissance Hollywood Hotel & Spa. All registrants are encouraged to stay at the Renaissance to simplify access to the Conference in a city famous for sprawling distances and endless traffic.
While the deadline has passed to reserve a hotel room at the original group rate, EPIP has secured a limited number of additional hotel rooms for $209/night. These rooms are available until sold. To make a hotel reservation at this rate, click here. If you have other questions for the hotel, don’t hesitate to call the Reservations Desk at 1.888.236.2427
Exhibit at the Conference
EPIP invites you to get your brand and information out in front of the next generation of grantmakers. You will get great return on this investment because our exhibiting opportunity is more affordable than others and offers more intimate interaction with interested foundation leaders. Staff time at exhibitions is nominal, and you may opt for non-staffed exhibition.All exhibitors will receive 1 free conference registration with the purchase of exhibit space.
Exhibition Size: Two 5í x 21/2í tables
Location: Revolution Room
Price: $1,000; Cost includes 1 free Conference registration
Description: Large display space integrated into an enclosed in lounge space where registrants relax with refreshments, music and exhibitors.
You should exhibit at the EPIP National Conference if you want to reach diverse, enthusiastic, and innovation-oriented foundation professionals who are seeking new ideas to make philanthropy work better for nonprofits, communities, trustees and staff.
This intimate conference will draw an estimated 250 diverse foundation professionals and trustees, staff at philanthropy support organizations, graduate students studying philanthropy, and senior foundation leaders and CEOs. While most participants will be in their 20s and 30s, some are in decision-making positions, and many have informal influence within their foundations. We estimate that 50% will be people of color, 80% will be women, and 90% will be under 40.
Exhibitors will be fully integrated into the conference experience: exhibition tables will be placed in a break, snack and lounge area and in a large open-space between the plenary rooms and workshop rooms, so that participants interact with you between sessions and during breaks.
- Exhibitor set-up will take place Wednesday, April 25, from 1:00pm – 4:00pm.
- Tear-down will be Saturday, April 28, from 12:30pm – 2:30pm.
- Thursday, April 26, 11 AM – 4 PM
- Friday, April 27, 11 AM – 4 PM
- Saturday, April 28, 8 AM – 12:30 PM
2012 Conference sponsors
The National Board and staff of EPIP would like to thank the following institutions for their generous 2012 Conference Sponsorships:
- Avery Dennison Foundation
- The California Endowment
- The California Wellness Foundation
- The Conrad N. Hilton Foundation
- The James Irvine Foundation
- Liberty Hill Foundation
- Levi Strauss Foundation
- The Nathan Cummings Foundation
- Tides Foundation
- The Weingart Foundation