Last Thursday, September 15th, in co-sponsorship with The Citibank Foundation, EPIP-NY hosted it’s Fall 2011 Open Membership Meeting & Kick-Off events. The meeting included an introduction to the current steering committee, a review of the first chapter mid-year report, upcoming activities, the new chapter website, and a candid discussion with meeting attendees about how EPIP-NY can best serve its members.
The meeting was followed by our annual Fall Kick-Off mixer, which this year was held at Opia. Hor d’ouevres and cocktails, including our very own happy hour special, The EPIPer, were plentiful as members chatted about everything from the national conference, to summer vacations, to the start of the football season.
Next Event: [MEMBERS ONLY] October 25th, 12p-2p. Career Development for Emerging Leaders with Rafael Lopez, Assoc Director, Talent Management and Leadership Development, Annie E Casey Foundation. Email email@example.com for more information.
Some comments from Meeting Attendees:
– Learning grantmaking when coming into the field. What makes philanthropy unique. How can I become the best at my job.
– I would like to connect with other members who are studying or graduated from graduate programs. How do you determine what graduate programs to choose? Which are most “leverageable” within the field? can those programs help you to achieve your goals? How do you maintain a healthy Work/School Balance?
– I attended a Social Justice Philanthropology workshop and would like to continue discussions from this workshop.
– More debates.
– More Professional development training.
– Some of the preferred platforms for programs/events/discussions:
- Face-to-face. Engaging discussions with others in ideas.
- Web platforms. Online discussions. Having those resources available on the web. Can do those on your own time.
- Small groups.
- Peer mentoring/matching service.
- Webinar/Conference call.
- Weekend programming.
- Learning tours – non-profits.
- Lunchtime events.